Thursday, August 12, 2004

Letter to the Editor

Presented without commentary:
Honesty needed about Kerry record

As a former naval lieutenant who commanded special warfare patrol craft in the Middle East as recently as three years ago, I at first resisted criticism of Sen. John Kerry’s Vietnam War record as inappropriate. However, as his campaign has made this one of its main issues, I feel that it is proper to speak out.

Most real war heroes that I have met are humble and do not like to talk about their accomplishments. Kerry cannot stop talking about his medals.

Second, a naval officer who brings a movie camera into combat is much more interested in building his resume and his legacy than taking care of his men and accomplishing the mission.

Lastly, a naval officer who leaves his men in combat and goes home early after only four months is not a real leader.

Vietnam really did not need to become such a big campaign issue, but now that it has, we need more honesty about the nature of Kerry’s war record.

ANDY SAVERY, KETTERING

2 Comments:

At Thu Aug 12, 09:03:00 PM, Blogger Pat in NC said...

I tend to believe the Swiftvets. They are trying to right a wrong done to our military by Kerry. I think Kerry has had to restate, reinterpret, too many things for me to believe a word he says.

 
At Fri Aug 13, 08:22:00 AM, Blogger Matt Hurley said...

My father served as a Marine in Vietnam and everytime I ask him about John Kerry my confidence in the Swifties story improves.

It isn't so much the story that I question. I question John Kerry's integrity. The Christmas in Cambodia story fell apart and his campaign had to admit that he has been lying for thirty years. How much more has he not been truthful about?

Kerry made VIETNAM! the central focus of his campaign. He had to expect a challenge to some of his claims. I believe he thought that he could get away with it by claiming attacks against his patriotism. For me this isn't an attack on his patriotism, the man served with some distinction. It is an attack on the man's character. And character matters. At least to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home